Enjoy a Glass With Us
Bangor Wine & Oyster Shed is a unique cellar door experience, showcasing award winning wines. Wine tasting 10am - 5pm daily.
You are welcome to have a wine tasting, sampling our cool climate Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Pinot Gris. Stay for lunch as our wines are matched to fresh local seafood. Sit by our fire with a glass of Pinot and read about the stories behind each label, all telling the tales of the people who came before us, settling this country and pioneering the area where today the grapes are grown. Or sit on the deck and sip a crisp white. Or two...
Our Cool Climate Story
At a latitude of 42deg 53' south, Bangor's vineyard is one of the most southerly in Tasmania, and the world. This makes it a true cool climate site, and we manage our vineyard to produce premium quality, cool climate wine.
We are a small family vineyard. We planted our first 3 hectares in 2010, and our fourth hectare in 2014. Our grapevines are hand tended by us, and all our grapes are handpicked.
We grow Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Chardonnay, grape varieties that are well suited to our cool climate site. More than likely you'll come across a sixth-generation Dunbabin while you're here.
Pinot Noir is a Tasmanian specialty. Our cool climate allows us to make premium Pinot Noir wines that have wonderful red fruit flavours with subtle spice and gamey aromas. The delicate yet complex flavour and aroma of Pinot Noir make it one of the most highly prized wines in the world, and a fantastic food matching wine. It can be paired with Tassie seafood, pasta, lamb and duck. Pinot Noir is a real crowd pleaser!
At Bangor we make two styles of Pinot Noir. The first is an un-oaked Pinot. Crafted from our young Pinot vines, this wine has a lighter, fruity style, designed to be enjoyed with family and friends all year round.
In the 1830's, Captain John Spotswood held the first land grant at Bangor, including the site where our vineyard now stands. Early accounts record that he rather enjoyed a drink, and we expect that he would have fancied a glass of this Pinot Noir named in his honour! Read more about Captain Spotswood here.
Abel Tasman is our premium wine label. Crafted from superior Tasmanian fruit and matured in French oak, Abel Tasman is an elegant, full-bodied Pinot Noir. The savoury complexity of this wine will develop further with careful cellaring over the next 5-10 years.
Tasman Bay, on Bangor's northern coastline, is the site where Abel Tasman planted the Dutch flag on December 3rd, 1642. We have named this wine in honour of Abel Tasman and the beautiful island that would come to bear his name. Read more about Abel Tasman here.
Jimmy's Hill is a true, cool climate Pinot Gris. It is a blend of fruit handpicked from Bangor and other local vineyards.
Pinot Gris is a delightful food wine. With fresh fruity characters and a lovely glossy texture, it pairs beautifully with a wide range of fish and shellfish, including oysters and mussels. Pinot Gris also matches well with white meats, cheeses and salads.
Rising a commanding 1002 ft, Jimmy's Hill is Bangor's highest point and one of Tasmania's convict era semaphore stations. With a simple hut for shelter, Jimmy, the rugged bushman who called the remote outpost home, maintained a vigilant eye on adjacent stations, standing by to relay messages. Read more about Jimmy's Hill here.
1830 is a cool climate Tasmanian Chardonnay crafted from premium hand-picked Tasmanian fruit.
Matured in French Oak, 1830 is an enjoyable blend of rich stone fruit characters and fresh citrus flavours, with subtle notes of vanilla. Chardonnay is another classic food wine, pairing beautifully with seafood, white meats and soft cheeses.
In 1830 John Dunbabin, convicted of horse stealing, was transported to Van Diemen's Land. Having narrowly escaped the hangman's noose, he was determined to make the most of his opportunities. Through sheer hard work, John earned his freedom and bought his own land, paving the way for five generations of farming at Bangor. Read more about 1830 and John Dunbabin here.
Bangor vintage sparkling
A stunning Tassie bubbles, Bangor Sparkling is a classic blend of cool climate Pinot Noir & Chardonnay. With a subtle strawberry note, beautiful toasty characters from 4 years on lees, balanced with refreshing acidity, this is the perfect bubbly for any celebration large or small!
Award Winning Wines
Our 'Bangor Jimmy's Hill Pinot Gris (2016)' was awarded the Wursthaus Trophy for Best Pinot Gris at the 2017 Tasmanian Wine show.
Our 'Bangor 1830 Chardonnay (2013)' was awarded the James Halliday Trophy at the 2015 Tasmanian Wine Show.
Both Trophies are proudly on display in The Shed.
Bangor has a five star rating in the 2017 James Halliday Wine Companion, and is listed as one of the Top Ten New Wineries in Australia.
- Top Gold, Class 8: Bangor Jimmy's Hill Pinot Gris (2016). 27th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2017.
- Silver Medal, Class 8: Bangor Jimmy's Hill Reserve Pinot Gris (2016). 27th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2017.
- Silver Medal, Class 8: Bangor Lagoon Bay Riesling (2016). 27th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2017.
- Silver Medal, Class 20: Bangor Abel Tasman Pinot Noir (2014). 27th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2017.
- Bronze Medal, Class 2: Bangor (2011) Vintage Sparkling. 27th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2017.
- Bronze Medal, Class 13: Bangor 1830 Chardonnay (2015). 27th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2017.
- Gold Medal, Class 13: Bangor 1830 Chardonnay (2014).26th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2016.
- Gold Medal, Class 1: Bangor Vintage Sparkling (2010, 2nd Release). 2016 International Cool Climate Wine Show.
- Bronze Medal, Class 10: Bangor 1830 Chardonnay (2014). 2016 International Cool Climate Wine Show.
- Silver Medal, Class 19: Bangor Abel Tasman Pinot Noir (2014). 26th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2016.
- Bronze Medal, Class 10: Bangor Jimmy's Hill Pinot Gris (2016). 2016 Royal Hobart International Wine Show.
- Silver Medal, Class 27: Bangor Abel Tasman Pinot Noir (2014). 2015, Royal Hobart International Wine Show.
- Bronze Medal, Class 2: Bangor (2010) Vintage Sparkling (2nd Release). 26th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2016.
- Gold Medal, Class 13: Bangor 1830 Chardonnay (2013). 25th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2015.
- Bronze Medal, Class 8: Bangor (2013) Jimmy's Hill Pinot Gris. 25th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2015.
- Bronze Medal, Class 2: Bangor (2010) Vintage Sparkling (1st Release). 25th Tasmanian Wine Show, 2015.